Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Review: Cruelty-free/Vegan Skin Care Products




Choosing a skin care line is important for maintaining healthy skin. With the vast majority of skincare products and lines it can be difficult to find the right product to treat our face. I've gone through a generous amount of facial cleansers. However I've found these cruelty-free and vegan products and quite effective against my occasional breakouts. This post breaks down everything you need to know about some of my favorite (or not) skincare products that I currently own and have been using extensively.


Products being reviewed 


Note : I will be reviewing these products by overall effectiveness and ingredients. If you wish to find the details and descriptions of the product there will be links to their Beautypedia reviews below! (For some products) 

French Girl Cleanser / Lush Tea Tree Toner / Nature's Gate Moisturizer/ Mario Badescu Spray / Mario Badescu Drying Lotion 

About my Skin: I have a combination of having oil and dry skin. It can be oily right around my nose, forehead and cheekbones. But the rest of my face falls into the normal however slightly dry category with occasional breakouts. My breakouts are usually around my chin or the lower half of my cheeks. I also do have pores that are noticeable around my cheeks and nose.  

Skin Type: Combination of having an oily complexion and dry 




French Girl Organic/Vegan Cleansing Nércli Wash 

Initially when I first bought this what drove me to buying it was the name and the curiosity of having a darker colored cleanser. When I first started using it, the cleanser had a distinct strong (neither smells good or bad) scent that you eventually get used to. Because its a non-foaming cleanser after stimulating it around your face it starts to look like gel and have that gel-like consistency. After the first week of applying this cleanser I have noticed brightness, smaller pores and overall my skin felt more hydrated and fresh after cleansing. This product described by French Girl is suppose to be a gentle wash for sensitive skin so I highly recommend this product if your prone to irritation/redness and want a soothing cleanser. It also wins extra points with me for with being 90-100% organic, fragrance free, and vegan.

Effectiveness - 4/5 


Lush Tea Tree Water Toner 

Lush has been one of the highly anticipated brands that I've always admired being branded as "fresh" and "handmade". So trying this toner I had a lot of expectations from the sales associate that picked it out for me in the store for people with oily complexions. Hands down this is one of the products that have left me impressed with Lush. Spraying my face twice a day, one in the morning and another at night, has improve the complexion of my face. After each spray my face would feel incredibly refreshed and clean. It definitely helped clear my imperfections and pimples, also because it contains Tea-free oil known for eliminating bacteria. If you have an oily complexion like I do, I suggest trying this product to eliminate grease, redness, excess oils and to unclog pores. 

Effectiveness - 5/5 


Nature's Gate Lemon Verbena Oil Free Moisturizer 

I have managed to scoop this gem out of a Sprouts store without knowing anything about it but for the attraction of being oil-free. The consistency of the moisturizer is light and feels more like a serum than a hydrating moisturizer. It leaves your face feeling sticky especially after a good wash. However it is easily absorbable because its light. Throughout the use of this product I haven't notice any drastic changes within my skin. If I were able to stop using it, my skin wouldn't change or react. Overall my skin hasn't really improved from using this moisturizer but it hasn't made it worst.  

Effectiveness - 3/5


Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater 

Like many of the products that I have mentioned on here this spray does make my skin feel rejuvenated and fresh especially during times of dullness. This facial spray is great for when your skin feels dry during winter or fall. Not only does it feel moisturizing, it also smells extremely nice. It has a lingering natural rose scent. The only con about this product is that it contains Fragrance and a small handful of people mentioned in their reviews that they have broke out with this spray product. With this product, I would sometimes use this right after I finish my skincare, set my makeup or as a primer for my makeup. Not only do I use this for my skin but definitely recommend this product for hair uses if you have breakage within your hair and split ends. 


Effectiveness - 5/5




Mario Badescu Drying Lotion

Out of the 4 Mario Badescu products that I own (facial spray, AHA  & ceramide moisturizer and enzyme cleansing gel), this is without a doubt my favorite out of them all. Out of all the MB products I have found myself using this way more and finding it extremely effective and strong. I have been using this product for almost a year and haven't managed to finish it and I'll probably still have this product for years to come. There's no need to apply this to your whole face but just the inflamed area, you leave it overnight and voila! The pimple is noticeably reduced or gone. I've used this on small cluster spots that have gone away overnight leaving my face looking less redder. This drying lotion is best used on smaller breakouts and small pimples not on deep, painful breakouts! In fact on cysts it may make it worse. 

Effectiveness - 5/5 




All in all, of my skin care products, this has been the working routine that I have found useful in my facial journey. If you're comtemplating on these products or on the hunt for new animal/cruelty skin products, here are my summarizing tips: 

1. Evaluate what skin type are you (combination, dry, sensitive, resistant) 
2. Concerns of your skin (discoloration, pores, dullness) 
3. Choose a product that meet your needs and your standards (oil-free, organic, fragrance-free) 

Hope you guys found this post helpful or insightful! Feel free to mention in the comments other types of cruelty-free/vegan skin care products or your tips/tricks to finding a good skin care product!      



Products reviewed in this post 













No comments:

Post a Comment